Warhammer 40K Space Marines
Warhammer 40000 Miniature Setup Tips
How to Beat Space Marines With Orks - Warhammer 40000
Warhammer Space Marine players are so many in Warhammer 40000 that this is the first army you should become proficient in playing with your Space Ork army. There are more space marine armies out there than all other armies combined. Almost every battle orks fight against marines will and should go just like this:
- Except in certain senario situations the Marines try manuevering to use the most optimal kill zone to their advantage and shoot the orks down before they ever make it across the board.
- Orks charge across the board trying to make it with enough boyz left to wipe the marines in hand to hand.
- Either the marines shoot down so many orks that they never/barely make it into hand to hand or the orks get enough boyz to the marines and wither them down to a null number of troops for victory.
So the problem against marines isn't beating them in shooting which you will never do and its not beating them in hand to hand since even if your boyz that make it lose they'll still take so many marines with them that your reserves will be able to catch up. The problem against marines(and most other even more shootie armies) is utilization of battle field and cover. You should do whatever you can during setup to be sure that the marine player has to setup in a fashion that affords you the most cover and sticks them with the least number of opportunities to set kill zones and shoot your boyz to bits. Some things that help in bending terrain to your favor are:
- Don't give him tall hills to set his devastator squads on. They can be the biggest pain in the ass and I usually go out of my way to kill them in turn 1.
- Charge hard on his heavy weapons squads so that they can't take out any of your special weapons and armor or blow up transports. I line up and charge 24" across the board with a couple of trucks and then lay waste to their heavy weapons squads before they can react. They may blow up your transport but with truck boyz this isn't a problem. Ride them up next to the nearest cover and if they nuke your transport you have a place to hide. Just stay away from the assault troops long enough to tear him up and you'll be fine.
- Keep your units small. Smaller units can use cover in their favor. Trukk boyz(or any boyz in trukks) work wonderful as small units. I have Ork player friends who prefer the large mobs, gretchin screens and gun trukks that they use as cover but thats me.
- Avoid the woods or other hindering terrain. Go around this stuff. You'll most likely get shot down due to it. Remember they can shoot into the woods but never through them! Marines vs. Orks is a battle that usually comes down to a matter of charge/counter charge and inches. Don't risk it unless necessary.
Some unit tips that help against marines or Chaos or Necrons or Eldar or every other shoot your ass to bits army.
- Stormboyz, though most people don't like them due to their points cost, are excellent for quick strikes over long distance. 12 inch move then a 6 inch charge. You can get through most kill zones.
- If you can put a looted Basilisk behind some large obstical waaaaaaay on the other side of the battle field you'll make his stand n shoot policy a little more difficult.
- Warbike Boyz can perform wonderfully as a shield in a quick strike situation where you have to take some casualties via shooting before you can reach them for hand to hand.
- Leave the dreads at home. Use trukks with trukk boyz and if you must have heavies use a gun trukk or a looted vehicle. One situation that I hear works but have yet to try is to have a unit of burner boyz w/ mekboy accompany a killa kan squad. The mekboy equipped with his tools and a force field will allow your kanz to make it across the battle field.
- Don't be afraid to engage anything! Games I've won have been through damn near suicidal strategies. Orks don't care about dying much. To them there will always be more boyz to come back for another round. Slam your boyz head long in a Waaagh against terminators, Grey Knights, anything. As long as you get that Waaagh check off you're going to hurt them and I mean bad.
- Every unit of boyz should have a Nob. Leave the guns at home and arm your Nobz with power claws and choppas. Cyborg bodies, 'eavy armor, bionic bonce are a great combo to make your Nob a serious X-Factor in hand to hand against anything. Just a week ago 1 Nob wiped 3 Grey Knight terminators in 1 round. That boy will be warboss before too long!
Thats my info thus far on marines. Any further data will be posted in the future so I won't forget myself. Jerry Wayne Odom Jr. 7/20/2003
Update on Playing Warhammer 40k Space Marines 3/18/2005
Well I've been playing marines ALOT in a tournament at Gameworx Gameshop in Baton Rouge and 4 of my 5 opponents thus far have been, you guessed it, Space Marines. I've done well against them and won 3 of 4 thus far but the one I lost came down to inches. I'd like to note that when playing Marines and most other armies you need to have a balanced attack. By balanced I mean if any part of your army gets left behind then you're docking yourself points. For this reason I've been playing a deathskullz army and bringing a Leman Russ battle tank in addition to Basilisk. Killer Kanz while they can be great in cleanse missions are almost worthless in most other scenarios. They marine players ignore them and concentrate on the transports because the Kanz are too slow to engage. So with a transport based ork army don't use the kanz.
A friend of mine also playing Orks has thus far been undefeated in the tourney. He utilizes a 3 gun trukk squad that seems to work marvelous as a screen for his foot troops. In addition he uses a large storm boy unit that has terrorized the hell out of other players. So a gun trukk unit may be something you will want to consider.
Warhammer 40K Space Marine Searches: