This is a picture of the Old Crow collectible Chess Set
waiting for a game. I happen to own a chess set which looks exactly like
this set and includes the carpet. I've recieved quite a few emails
concerning this collectible set lately and decided to set up a page to
address many peoples concerns all at once.
Who made this chess set?
- This set was distributed by the Old Crow Distillery Company in Frankfort,
Kentucky. They are ceramic whiskey decanters which come in golden bronze and
dark verdian green. This is a giant chess set!
What type of alcohol came in the bottles?
- Each bottle contained a fifth of Old Crow Kentucky straight Bourbon whiskey.
When did this set come out?
- My set was bottled in 1969 but I'm fairly sure there were other years of
production. The only way that I can see to tell the date is on the original
old crow boxes that shipped containing 6 pieces per box. Each of the 6
pieces came in an individual box with no dates to be seen.
How much is the set worth? I've seen it for several thousand dollars online?
Will you sell your chess set? Can I buy your chess set?
- When researching this set I went through several collectable guides
online and found a listing for $250 for the set including the rug. I've seen
some sellers online trying to get several hundred and in one sellers case
several thousand dollars for the set. I assure you that this set isn't worth
for than $200-300 and you'll be able to pick one up on E-bay for around this
- No I'm very happy with it
How big is the set?
- The rug is about 4 feet square and the pieces all together weight about
100 pounds. Each of the pieces stand over a foot in height and vary
depending on the piece.